Wednesday, February 04, 2015

Double Flyer Spinning Wheel & Wetting the Line



A few weeks ago, I had a chance to make a video of how to wet the line while spinning on the Double Flyer Wheel.

With both hands busy, it is a little tricky to take time to dip, and smooth the line while spinning!

But it can be done! Occasionally, you can hold back both lines with one hand and use the other hand to dip.

If you had asked me, several years ago, if this move was possible, I would have answered, NO! But practice has proved me wrong...it isn't impossible, it is tricky to get the timing just right.

In the video, I have dressed the distaff with some hemp that I purchased at the Endless Mountain Fiber Festival. I was told it comes from Romania. It is very nice quality, and comes in a roving type of package.

We won't talk about the weather. There has been a lot of snow shoveling going on, and there is still more to come. Temps are dipping down into the sub zero zone. And February is a good time to sit by the fire and spin. And weave!

4 comments:

Leslie Shelor said...

I've got some flax that I'll need to spin before long. This is interesting!

cindy said...

Looks like milking a cow ! Love the technique you are using!

Lisa at Greenbow said...

You need this music to keep your hands moving so fast. Great!

Dawn said...

Interesting to watch!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin