Sunday, October 27, 2013

overshot

Learning a new skill takes concentration, patience and understanding. And a good teacher. Many thanks to Greta, for her time and materials and friendship. I'm wandering down the rosepath....playing with extended point twill...and overshot...learning about wefts and tromping combinations.



First efforts are off the loom, small samples to study and note what worked, and what did not.



By the end of the warp, I was starting to feel like I was beginning to understand. There is so much to learn, discover ....and enjoy.



Out of all of the samples, this last one pleased me the most. It is very exciting to see how my handspun behaves as weft. The tabby is woven in commercial cotton, and the pattern threads are my handspun, a merino tencel blend.

Obviously, there appears to be lots of room for improvement. But, I am encouraged. I've wanted to learn to weave for a very long time, so finally seeing it start to happen ...well, hard to explain in words. It is more a feeling of understanding. Finally understanding. And when the ah ha! moments come, the ideas fall down like so many dominoes..each one taking its turn and falling on top of the other.



6 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

While all of the weaving terminology sounds like Greek to me the results you have here look wonderful. I can see you have the patience of a saint and are blessed with lots of talent. the salmon colored one really catches my eye. The white one with the blue pattern on the end too. Fab.

Judy said...

Gorgeous work and lucky you! Have fun.

Vlaďka Cepáková said...

Oh Cyndy! It is like a dream! So beautiful! The best point for your handspun yarn. Congratulations! Are you going to use also your handspun line for weaving?
I look forward to your next weaving and I wish you a lot of fun with it.
Greetings from Europe :-)

Cathy said...

It's wonderful to see you following the handspun thread to the beginning of another dream. Tho, actually, you are awake and living it, aren't you?

Interesting about the Lyme disease in your previous post. We so seldom have ticks here (1 in the last 15 yrs!) that to have to worry about them daily would be difficult.

Valerie said...

How exciting!! You've done a wonderful job of realizing your dreams! Twill threadings are so versatile, they can keep you busy for a very long time. There are so many exciting weave structures ahead for you.

It's taken me awhile to get back and post a comment....things are hectic here.

Here's wishing you many happy warps in the very near future. Great work!

Gingerbreadshouse7 said...

I was so surprised to see you were learning weaving..
I cant wait to get back into my weaving ( if i ever do).
You are doing great. Ginny

Blog Widget by LinkWithin