Tuesday, February 09, 2010

the narrows

Photobucket

Valerie left me a comment -inquiring about how my support spindling has been coming along. I'm so glad that she did! I have been enjoying it. The Kingwood Russian style support spindle is exactly what I have been needing to spin the short and lofty fibers from my bunny, Lakota.

Photobucket

So, after finishing up the sample, which worked up to be something like 37 yards of a 2 ply with 20 wpi, I opened a bag of Lakota's angora clippings that I harvested last spring. The wool is very soft, and silky. Lakota's locks do not have a long staple length. On average, they measure 2 to 3 inches (some areas are an inch at best). These short silky fibers are perfect for spinning on the support spindle. To prepare the fiber, I simply take a pinch or two of fiber in one hand and draw the comb through the ends. I'm getting more confidence as the days go by. My fingers are feeling relaxed with the flick and have settled into a nice rhythm of drafting and twisting. Support spindles seem to be a good way to slow down and study the way that twist runs into the draft. I usually spend a few moments with my spindle in the morning after I pour my coffee and open the stove draw to kick up the heat - there have been some very cold mornings of late.

Photobucket

The drive into town for chicken feed took me past beautiful ice forms. The waterfall is running beneath the frozen exterior shell. Underneath the ice, the rush of water over rocks makes a soft shushing sound. There are some areas where the ice is thin, you are able to see the water flowing.

Photobucket

It is a curious thing to watch the frozen water at the Narrows, large slabs of ice are jutting up out of the river, jamming up and sometimes breaking off and joining the fast open waters. I stand and watch for as long as I can, but the winds are high and the cold bites at my skin.

Photobucket

16 comments:

Sharon said...

I am so envious! Your landscape is truly breath taking! Lovely. Perhaps I am envious because its about as far from our world as you can get!!! Its hot, and dry here, the land is completly yellow. We can't stay outdoors much, but because its so hot and the sun burns! What an amazing world, eh?

BlueTulips said...

Oh, how I remember those scenes. Thank you for sharing and bringing me home for a minute.

Lynn said...

I love that frozen waterfall! Maybe this weekend I can go find more waterfalls around here...

Tammy said...

We do live in a beautiful area, your pictures are gorgeous!
So is your spinning.
Stay warm and we should have some pretty snow pictures soon :)

Life Looms Large said...

What a beautiful frozen waterfall! Thanks for sharing it with us!

Sue

烤肉 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
finnsheep said...

You have a real gift for photography. The waterfall photos are wonderful.

Judy said...

Woke this morning to a dusting but tv now says 16-18. That beautiful waterfall will be covered and the river jammed more. Stay warm and tell M no shoveling!

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Ooooo that falls is so beautiful. I love to hear the sounds of the rivers when the ice is breaking up. It can sound so eerie. Bunny fluff reminds me I have a packet to get into the post.

Valerie said...

That bunny fur is just the ticket for your spindle. Short staples are best spun on support spindles (IMO, anyway)

BTW..the comments w/ Japanese characters are likely a form of spam. They are the reason I went to moderating comments. Can tell you more about it privately.

Jody said...

Fantastic pics.
I didn't realize you had a bunny:))

Cathy said...

Lovely spinning and the waterfalll - ohhhh! Gorgeous.

~ Phyllis ~ said...

Cyndy the frozen waterfall pictures are beautiful. Thanks so much for sharing such lovely pictures. They gave me goosebumps.

DebbieB said...

I love waterfalls, and have never seen a frozen one - these pictures are wonderful.

Hooray for mastering your Russian spindle! I remember you asked me about flicking middle or top - I've taken to flicking the middle with middle/ring/pinky fingers and thumb/forefinger encircling but not grasping the spindle. I'm spinning an alpaca/merino blend. I have some angora bunny in the stash - I would like to try it as well on the Russian spindle.

cindy said...

Your Russian spindle is glorious! I love its finish. Where did you get it from?

My center pull ball was indeed on a noste. It's a Ledbetter I got from Judy.I love it!

Anonymous said...

It's wonderful to do some catching up with you. Your blogs always put me in a good frame of mind.

I've been playing around a bit with a Russian spindle (Trabechek), hadn't thought to try the angora fur my cousin gave me.

There's something enchanting about frozen waterfalls.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin