Wednesday, June 25, 2008

walk with me wednesday, watching for waxwings

The cedar waxwings are one of the last birds to build a nest around the riverrim. They dine on fruits and insects, so they raise their young in time to coincide with the bounty that mid summer provides. They sometimes nest in colonies. My husband has noticed that there are two nests in our oak tree near the river. We go walking in the early evening to look for more.

Photobucket

We notice the elderflower, the butter and eggs, and the viper's bugloss starting to bloom. We meet this years fawn...

Photobucket

it is curious, and lags behind it's mother to get a closer look at us, but not too close...fright gets the best of it, (as well it should!) and it runs to catch up with the others.

Photobucket

The sun is starting to slide down the other side of the mountain, early evening is an active time. The birds are busy getting a meal. They gather together to roost, and sing the sun down. We don't see any waxwings, but we do see frogs...

Photobucket

finally, just as the light is fading, we see one. I love the mask they wear. The waxwing is on the right...their moss lined nest is hidden...can you see it on the left of the photograph?

Photobucket

11 comments:

Joanne said...

Thank you for this beautiful walk! I also appreciate the distraction from the compost battles around here. I've now bathed both dogs. Apparently it is delicious stuff....YUCK!

Kristi aka Fiber Fool said...

Beautiful! Your walks often remind me of home :-)

Anonymous said...

What a sweet little spotted fawn! The next cutest thing to a teeny tiny kitten, I think. :-)

Judy said...

If the gypsy mothes keep eathing you won't have a problem finding the nest. The elderberries are loaded this year....Uncle F will be a very happy man.

~ Phyllis ~ said...

Cyndy,
I love waxwings. Thank you for posting that picture.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I felt like I was there Cyndy. What great natural wonders you are treated with on your walks. Your river is beautiful. Yes, I could see the waxwing and its nest. You are mightly blessed.

Pat K said...

A grand walk. Wish I was there to see it all.

Anne P said...

We've got a great picture of a waxwing that D took when we lived up north. I love the facial mask too - they are beautiful birds!

Tammy said...

Beautiful pictures Cyndy thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the restful walk. I loved seeing the river at this angle. Is it warm enough to swim yet?

cindy said...

The pics of the deer are so special!!! I've always wondered what a cedar waxwing looks like. Thanks!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin