Tuesday, June 03, 2008

spinning peeps

Photobucket

I just finished spinning up another Shetland sample from Cathy. This one was labeled "Peeps". Since I know that Leigh has been keeping such good notes about her Shetland samples in her notebook, I suggest that you stop by and look at her entry about "Peeps". She was spinning it last September. She has an image of the actual fleece sample. (By the time Peeps got to me, the sample was already processed into roving.) While you are over there, take a look at the gorgeous sweater she is making up from her samples. It is fun for me to look at it and imagine "Peeps" is in that sweater, somewhere.

Photobucket

I spun "Peeps" with a supported longdraw style, on the good ole Ashford Traddy. I wound up with a lot of these slubs...which I imagine to be smaller pieces of the undercoat that build up between my fingers. Try as I might, I cannot seem to spin in longdraw style without accumulating slubs.

Photobucket

No matter, they picked out easily enough, but the floor was littered with them by the time I finished. The notes are tagged...

Photobucket

I wound up with an ounce of 16wpi/ woolen....and have now completed 3 of the samples.

6 comments:

Sharon said...

Looks lovely!

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Cyndy, when I read the title of your post I thought I might see a box full of chicks ready to be put outside with the other chickens. :)
There are many materials with slubs in them. They are quite popular right now so maybe you didn't need to pick out all the slubs from your yarn.

Leigh said...

I think it's outrageously hard to spin longdraw without slubs. But if you hadn't said anything, I wouldn't have noticed! The yarn is really lovely and I tend to like slubs anyway.

Kath said...

I've just 'chucked' fibre at my wheel to make some 'fun novelty' yarn with slubs galore. Your slubs are puny by comparison and I'm sure won't be noticable much when it's knitted up as it looks beautifully spun. Love your photos as always - inspired me to go and gaze at nature more closely again.

Joanne said...

Slubs, to me, are the difference between machine made yarn and handspun. I can do all sorts of things with handspun that can't be done on a machine, and of course, slubs are one of them...

Enjoy your cool weather! The heat is coming...thank you for the blog comment. I love feeling someone has dropped by to spend time with me today. :)

annmarie said...

beautiful yarn. I always love seeing the work you do.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin