Wednesday, June 11, 2008

no mow and an F.O.

Photobucket

I live in a green world, it is a green time, full of growth. Chlorophyll surrounds me.

Photobucket

The grass is now knee deep. If I lived in the suburbs, the neighbors would not like it. They would leave notes on my door, with phone numbers for a lawn service. Around here, I let grow. No smell of fresh mown grass, just sweet and wild smells. Of earthy goodness, clovers, wild rose, ox eye daisy and buttercups etc. Green smells. Sunlight and rain smells, dew in the morning smells. I like it, and I feel a bit rebellious letting it go. Besides, I cannot start the mower.

Photobucket

The razor shell socks are finished. They hold for me all the different flecks of green, the flecks of chlorophyllose magic that glimmers through the leaves and grasses.

Photobucket

And they feel good.

Photobucket

And they even turned a few heads...

Oh, and the species pictured in the biodiversity post are: scarlet tanager, hellgrammite, cahill- or mayfly...and the snake is most likely a redbelly, I'm guessing because I didn't see his head, nor did I flip him over to view his belly. He was very small so at first I thought he was a worm snake. Here is another photo that shows his markings a bit better.

Photobucket

14 comments:

Sue said...

Lovely socks!

Anonymous said...

Those socks are so pretty! If you let the grass grow, I'll be expecting more snake pictures. :o)

Anonymous said...

That sock pattern looks like just the thing for variegated yarns (which are so incredibly hard to find suitable patterns for.)

judy said...

Great socks. Looks like a tad of lavender creeping up the leg. Your gardens look lovely wild. I'm imagining the scent of the peony.

Jacqui said...

your grass looks perfect for making grass angels!

ps. from my time in Minnesota, i can attest that Mayflies are good fishing bait! ;)

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I just love your socks Cyndy. I can see that the hen did too. Do you give your chickens names?

Pat K said...

Wonderful socks. And how's everything going for you these days?

Sharon said...

I am the same regarding mowers, and we do get notes left in our letterbox with the phone number for lawn mowing services. I prefer the have the grass be eaten rather than cut by a loud and annoying mower!

And the socks do look good!

finnsheep said...

Love the socks! Color and pattern are perfect!

Judy said...

Oh how I wish my mom would let me let her's grow but no...once a week 1.5 acres gets a haircut. The socks are beautiful. The snake is beautiful in picture but I don't like meeting them up close and personal!!!

Anonymous said...

That's beautiful color in those socks!

Anonymous said...

We have a corner that I like to let go. After all, the critters need places to hide. Today our son came to work in the yard, he's of the mind that trim and pruned is better. Time was on my side. :-)

KnitChick said...

Those socks are divine!! Almost enough to inspire me to start finishing things!! :)

kathy b said...

Great work o n the socks. Snakes....eek!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin