Saturday, April 12, 2008

new fence

It has been at least ten years since I've had deer inside the garden fence.

Photobucket

These two have cost me several days of repair (hard labor) and about fifty dollars worth of new fencing materials.

The little yearling is the culprit. He made his way in through a small hole, and his mother must have followed. I don't know how long they were in there...long enough to eat all of my day lily collection, and the strawberries. It was early evening. Just twilight... I went out to close up the greenhouse, and there they were in the garden, munching on my hellebore and crabapple tree. I yelled at them, "hey!! What are you doing in my garden??!! Git outa there!!"

The yearling freaked out and ran around, throwing himself at the fence and bouncing off and thrashing around on the ground, while the mamma just stood there watching. Finally, she walked over to him and they both stood still for a moment. Then, suddenly- she ran for all she was worth, got up as much speed as she could- and jumped/dove right through the 8 foot fence! The little one did the same thing right behind her. The fence had 2 big holes ripped through it. GRRRRRRR!

Photobucket

This morning when I took these pictures, they looked so innocent...I think I'm going to start using my air horn to keep them away from the house and garden areas. We work too hard in the garden to have them in there helping themselves! Thank goodness I hadn't planted the lettuce out yet!

20 comments:

Judy said...

Remember when you didn't have a fence and they shared your garden with you? I think it was 70/30 in their favor and now you deny them some daylilies! Just joking! Sorry about the crab apple. I am repairng fences tomorrow.

Sue said...

Good fences make good neighbors, eh?

Anonymous said...

One of my friends leaves a small battery-powered radio in her garden, on the AM talk station. She says it works, and the batteries are cheaper than fencing.

Joanne said...

I've heard of all sorts of deterrents, like human hair scattered in the garden (yuck, but that's just me). I like the transistor radio idea, too. One easy method is to ask a big, well-mannered dog to walk through the garden with you on a daily basis. Deer aren't crazy about predators...and I've known dogs to take down deer. I don't recommend this kind of deer slaying, of course, but it might help your deer get a little more sense about staying away from humans and day lillies?

Anonymous said...

I'd be surprised if a radio worked, especially since mamadeer didn't seem to afraid of you. Barring some type of guard dog, perhaps, higher, stouter fences that are regularly checked for weakness or holes.

Deer are a real problem around this area too. Fortunately the deer don't come into this small town.

Sharon said...

Although we don't have problems with deer, I know the frustration of garden invaders destroying all that hard work. Can be heartbreaking. They can do some much damage in such a short time!

Anne P said...

Darn it! How frustrating!! Hopefully you can find something that will work to keep them out. And still be able to replant some berries!

Kristi aka Fiber Fool said...

I always miss the white tails from home, but we didn't garden back then. If that happened to me now I'd be pretty devastated.

cindy said...

Ah.................the yin and yang of the natural world.

Glad you caught the situation in time to delay further damage.

pacalaga said...

Man. They're awfully cute, though.
Somebody I know plants extra stuff outside the fence, away from the garden, in the hope that the deer eat that and don't bother the fenced garden. Do you suppose that actually works?

Leigh said...

Hmm. I never realized that deer were so sneaky.

Anonymous said...

They're beautiful, but you know, I don't think they have much sense! We've got a small crew of them around here; they pop up outside the kitchen window in the winter evenings looking for bread, then forage for themselves in the summer when things are green. They've typically left my garden alone, and I've no idea why. Since I'm turning it into flowers this year, we'll see how that goes.

Anonymous said...

Oh, your poor lilies! I'm so sorry. :-(

I hope you can persuade the deer to get their breakfast elsewhere. Do you need a completely new fence, or just some repairs to the existing one?

meresy_g said...

The rock with the lichens on it in the background looks like a watercolor. If I were a fiber person, I would want to dye some yarn in shades of green like that. Hope your fence holds.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

How disappointing to find the deer eating your garden. Booooo They aren't as innocent as they look for sure.

Anonymous said...

Love your blog, and the pictures and stories of living with nature. My mom lives in Valemount B.C. and is experiencing the same thing with the deer and their babies. I haven't heard of any solution yet, that works, with keeping them out of gardens. The air horn sounds like it would scare them off. Hearing that in the morning would be a wake up call hopefully you're neighbours don't live too close, haha.

Leslie Shelor said...

It's amazing that with all the good stuff out in the woods, the deer will break through a fence to get to a garden. Hope the repairs and air horn work!

vanessa said...

stinkers!

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Haven't heard from you lately Cyndy. I hope you are well and just out working in the garden inspired by this beautiful spring weather.

Anonymous said...

Cyndy, are you OK?

--Lisa from western Mass.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin