Tuesday, January 15, 2008

take 2, they're small

This past weekend, we had some old friends come to stay for a few days. It was great to see them and get caught up on what has been happening in their lives. They have 2 large dogs that they brought with them, and we enjoyed their company as well.

But, chickens and dogs don't mix and our chickens were not allowed to free range for a few days. They were all confined to the run and the henhouse. When I went to check on things late Sunday afternoon, I found that the Banty hen had started to lay! There were four nice green eggs! I always wondered if her eggs would be green or blue. Sometimes, you can tell from the color of the earlobes...see?

Photobucket

Banty hens are smaller than a standard size chicken. In the photo below, the larger chicken is a standard Cochin rooster, the two smaller chickens standing next to him are the banty rooster and banty hen. They are Aracuna's. Both breeds have feathered legs.

Photobucket

The banty's arrived here this summer, they were a gift from happyacres. I wasn't sure if they would get along with the bigger chickens....I was afraid they would be bullied. But everyone seems to have established a pecking order, and they are doing fine. In fact, I am enjoying the smaller size. They take up less space...make smaller droppings..eat less...but most of all I love the small size eggs! Two of them are equal to about 1 regular egg. Visually, one egg is about the size of a teaspoon.

Photobucket

I wanted to taste them. Very fresh eggs are good if you would like to have coddled eggs. I don't make them very often, but now and then, on a frosty morning, a coddled egg with toast and black coffee is comfort food. Coddled eggs are tricky to make. You have to make them "just right".

Photobucket

"Eggs are very much like small boys. If you overheat them or over beat them, they will turn on you and no amount of future love will right the wrong." Irena Chalmers.

17 comments:

Joanne said...

I always find your posts so comforting and cozy. I want to learn how you make coddled eggs, watch you on the great wheel, it all sounds so fabulous from a distance...nothing like my own chicken experiences when I worked on a farm. In short, I sat on some poop and that stuff stains forever. I could not get them back in their house at night. I never had a good relationship with those chickens...so I have to admire yours!

Leslie said...

She's so pretty! And her eggs are precious. I'm off to Google "coddled eggs" -- I'm thinking maybe they're like poached eggs?

pacalaga said...

The chickens are adorable and the quote is hilarious! This on the day my son has a black eye (tripped on a truck at daycare - no one is beating him up but himself.)

Anonymous said...

Love the egg and chicken talk. But what I love most is that gorgeous tea pot. wow.

Judy J

cindy said...

I think your chickens are wonderful! not to mention fresh eggs and tea!

Judy said...

I think you need a couple of ducks too! Their eggs are excellent for baking...I will have extra ducklings in the spring just in case you change your mind. :^D

Valerie said...

How cozy! Thanks for taking the time to post the photo's. Last summer I started doing the coddled egg on toast thing about once a week. Previous to that, I hadn't eaten one since childhood. I guess everything does have it's season, doesn't it?

Pat K said...

Love the teapot. Coddled eggs sounds so exotic.

judy said...

The picture of of the 2 aracuna with the overlord is wonderful.

Where's the snow? I

t's fun to get a dozen eggs from the general store and find all sizes and colors.

I'm getting confused by your commentors, 3 Judys, and two JJs? whew!

Sharon said...

Your chickens are beautiful, and lay very similar eggs to my own auracanas!

Love the quote at the end of the post!

DebbieB said...

I've never thought of a chicken as beautiful, but that lady is so very pretty in her close-up.

Anonymous said...

I'm still trying to figure out where the hen's earlobes are!

Claudia Bugh said...

My sister raises chickens and I agree with you a fresh egg is important for breakfast - I like them soft boiled myself in a cute little egg cup. Particularly like those little green eggs :)

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I just love reading about your chickens. I am a frustrated city slicker chicken lover. There is an ordinance against having chickens in our town. WHINE...

Your coffee pot is to die for and those little eggs...geez I am hungry now. :)

Try to stay warm and enjoy the slow pace of the winter. I surely am. So far this winter I am quite content. I hope you are too.

Leigh said...

Good post! I've had both size chickens and some that laid green eggs. It's been awhile though, so I enjoy reading about yours.

Anonymous said...

Ymm, comfort food with a lovely set. Makes me wish I hadn't already put the muesli on to soak.

Kim said...

OMG! I must say that banty hen of yours reminds me SOOOOOO much of my banty Homegrown!!

1, being a banty hen like Homegrown.

2, the same amount of feather afro on the head that Homegrown hen has.

3, her eyes and beak and comb remind of Homegrown.

4, being all black just like Homegrown, except for the face and hackles.

5, the construction of her face.

6, everything of this hen.

The only difference between this hen and Homegrown is, Homegrown has a red comb and red hackles instead of purple. And Homegrown has white/cream under her ears and lays white/cream eggs. When I saw this hen, I had to look closer, because I said... Homegrown? lol.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin