Wednesday, December 05, 2007

wwmw december snow

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

The snow has fallen a little bit every day for the past four days. Slowly, as winter begins to arrive, there are the last traces of fall. Autumn becomes winter...we begin another transition.

And we are not without our troubles here. I discovered my poor Blue Cochin, dead, decapitated, feathers everywhere, just outside the hen house door. There was a struggle, that is evident. It is either a weasel or a mink, and I don't know how it got into the run. At least it didn't go on a killing spree. There were no tracks in the snow...but the hen was pulled up tight to the stone foundation, leading me to believe that whatever got her is still under the coop. Now I have to lock the little hatch at night..to keep the weasel away from the door. I guess we will have to set up some kind of trap, as the predator can get into the run. I've got my work cut out for me, figuring out what to do.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

We had snow here today south of Pittsburgh. On and off all day. Maybe 5 inches. It's cold tonight....The cats don't want to stay outside long. That's awful about your little hen. Out cats do that with mice.

Sharon said...

Sorry to hear about your hen. Hope that you can sort out something to keep the others safe. I just lost one of my auracanas whom I have had for several years, I hate losing animals.....

Jessica at Bwlchyrhyd said...

Don't know if this would work with your hen house or not, but could you try elevating it a bit so light can get underneath? In theory, that will stop animals wanting to live under there...

Cathy said...

Oh no! I am sorry to hear about another loss. I hope you find a way to prevent another.

pacalaga said...

Poor hen. I like those little ferret critters, but only in pictures... BTW, the leaf photo is awesome.

Valerie said...

Am so sorry. Good luck with catching the perpetrator.

Beth S. said...

Oh dear, I'm so sorry about your poor bird! :-( Nature is very cruel sometimes. I hope you can get the coop rigged in the right way to keep the baddies out...

annmarie said...

oh, i'm sorry to hear of this loss and wish you luck in protecting the rest of your flock.

Pat K said...

It's a beautiful picture, but so sad about losing another member of your "family". I hope there are no more problems like this.

Fiberjoy said...

You've had some hard loses in your animal family this autumn.

Hope the critters will find different hunting grounds.

I'm looking forward to seeing the finished shawl with the edging.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

The photo is perfect to compliment your discription of winter creeping in.

Your poor little hen. I hope the trap works or you figure out how to keep the hungry critters away from your chickens.

Anonymous said...

Any update on the predator?

Pablo
http://www.roundrockjournal.com

Blog Widget by LinkWithin