Wednesday, October 31, 2007

cucurbitas and

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

When I planted my pumpkin seeds this year, I planted 2 types. One was the Amish Pie pumpkin, I only planted 2 vines and had a total yield of 9 very large pumpkins that weighed on the average of 15lbs.

I also took a chance and planted some seeds that I had saved from a Kakai pumpkin that I had grown from seed produced (in 2003 I think) by Johnnys Select Seed. I took a chance, because I figured it would have cross pollinated, and it did. From the outside it looked like a Kakai, but was rather tall in shape. The inside told the truth, the seeds were white.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

The true Kakai pumpkin is really worth growing for a Halloween Jack-O-Lantern. The skin is dark green with yellow and orange stripes. If you carve the inside of the pumpkin rather deeply, you can get a nice luminous glow of stripes when you light the Jack...

The flesh is not really that tasty (the chickens will enjoy it), but the seeds are dark green, hulless and full of good vitamins and minerals known to have medicinal value. They are tasty raw or toasted...and may also be pressed to make oil...I will toast mine. First the seeds will be simmered in salt water for about 10 minutes, then drained and popped into the oven till they "pop" or "puff".

I will be saving the seed from this pumpkin/squash...Queensland Blue is the name I was told. Easy to remember, it looks to me like a Pumpkin Queens crown.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I didn't grow this one, it was given to me (thanks Grace!)...and I cannot wait to taste it.

If you knock on my door to trick or treat, you will see this:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

It is an antique brass bridle ornament. My sister gave it to me for my birthday one year. She purchased it from ebay. It came from England.

There was only one of them. I wonder who has the other one. When it arrived (a few years ago), I decided to mount it on my front door, directly under the door knocker. There have been a few people who ask me why I have a witch riding a spinning wheel on my front door. Well, I explain that I believe it is a woman wearing the Welsh National Costume and they give me a blank look. If you have not been trick or treating at Marcy's blog yet, stop by. In answer to her "what say you" about witches riding their brooms with the bristles in front or behind...or on distaves...this one looks to be riding with the wheel in front...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

How interesting! And thanks for the info on how to roast pumpkin seeds, I never get them to come out right!

Marcy said...

Ha! I didn't even contemplate those witches who preferred spinning (and flying) with a wheel. :D

Love your punkins!

Pat K said...

That certainly is an interesting carved pumpkin. I never saw one of those before. You have certainly broadened my garden horizons this year.

Leslie said...

What a totally great post. I liked the striped look of the jack-o-lantern, and that spinning "witch" is fascinating! What a spectacular bridle ornament. Makes you wonder about the person that owned the bridle, doesn't it?

judy said...

I have the identical ornament. I think that they have been reproducing them. I've had it for more than 6 yrs. Great Jack o lantern.

Kristi aka Fiber Fool said...

Thanks for the notes on the pumpkin varitals. We're definitely making room for some pumpkin vines as I'm a *huge* pumpkin freak. I love anything with pumpkin in it.

Artis-Anne said...

Great pumkin :)
You are right, it is a Welsh lady on the horse brass and I also own one ; there are still a few old ones about. I have a photo of my great,great grandmother dressed this way sitting at her spinning wheel and her two sisters standing very formaly besides her .

Blog Widget by LinkWithin