Thursday, September 27, 2007

walk with me wednesday, gleaning

Are you enjoying the harvest moon that is upon us? Does the full harvest moon still help the farmer reap? Or is that just a story from a time past ...

I notice the moon and think of the farmer. The moon prompts me into action...it is time to harvest.

Now there is fulfillment. There is finishing. You can smell it in the air. The grapes are ready, you don't even have to look at them to know. The fragrance of concord floats down from the tree tops and mixes with the scent of ripe apples. Just look around and you will notice the completion is everywhere. The trees with their nuts, the flowers gone to seed, everything has reached it's full natural growth.

I have been busy with reaping, and gleaning the last yields.... Wednesday found me walking in and out of the garden. Baskets were filled, carried into the house, packed into the fridge, and then back out for more.

Pick the last of the stringbeans....

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

and tomatoes...

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

and potatoes...digging potatoes is like finding a nest of eggs underground....

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Pull the beets, pick the broccoli..and haul winter squash and pumpkins in the wheelbarrow.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

In some ways, it is a rather humbling experience to receive so much bounty from nature. I am appreciative and thankful.

10 comments:

Pat K said...

I do so love the colors of all those squash! You grow an amazing garden.

Leslie Shelor said...

Looks delicious!

pacalaga said...

Wow, that's a lot of produce! Sigh. Fall is our spring, activity wise, down here in AZ. It's just starting to get cool enough to be outside. I wish I could feel it - it's feeling like a dead end to me these days.

meresy_g said...

Everything looks so pretty! Ihave to get the gleaning done this weekend. I believe our 80+ degree days are a thing of the past, but I so enjoyed them this week.

Jessica at Bwlchyrhyd said...

Your harvest looks yummy!

Anonymous said...

Really a nice post! I envy your skill (gardening, photography, musing . . .)

Cathy said...

Wow. As usual you stun me with your vision. The tomatoes and nasturiums especially knock me out.

Unknown said...

Hi! I really enjoyed your garden pix! I love growing my own, you get to enjoy the stuff many times over--planting, watching it grow, picking, eating, composting for next year!

Dawn said...

Beautiful harvest! Multiple Blessings!!

Fiberjoy said...

Do you turn the potatoes and let them harden before bringing them in? We're in the midst of long rains and I can't decide what should be done with our spuds (first year we've planted them). I figure it won't hurt to leave the beets in the ground and the squash on the vine for another week or until the frosts.

I tagged you for a book meme. Hope you don't mind.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin