Wednesday, March 28, 2007

walk with me Wed, in sneakers...

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

It was a beautiful day for walking...the sky a bright blue, the sun warm on your face, and the wind was just light enough to play with your hair. It is the kind of spring day that begged me to put on my sneakers for a walk. oh dear, I have not worn sneakers for a walk in a long time, and I am sure to get my sneakers full of mud...but I decide it is just too nice of a day to wear my tired old boots for a walk.

You can feel the difference right away. You get that feeling...the one where you can run faster and jump higher...it's the feeling that puts a bounce in your step, makes your hair swing when you walk...it is, the feeling of springtime.

I headed down to the river to climb on the rocks...the water was high, the riverrim looked different from just a few short weeks ago...it went from this...

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

to this....

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I found evidence of how hard winter can be on some, the bones of one who did not survive it.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I have heard that deer that are wounded during hunting season, will go to the river to die. The bones were bleached white and made clean by the sun and the river water. I saved a small thin one, to make a needle out of.

I climbed around the rocks some more...my ankles slightly weak without the support of my boots. I found some nice driftwood, some of which I saved for use in future projects...I saw some stone flies, and some of these...

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

which I am sure the trout are eating...

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't seem to make out what the picture is with the caption "what the trout are eating"...it looks like a larva of some sort - it it?

Your river is beautiful! Kate/Massachusetts

Judy said...

Drove by your place four times today and didn't see ya...obviously I was looking in the wrong direction!! You with sneakers and Little man wanted to go barefoot...said his feet felt trapped after being in shoes all winter!!!

cyndy said...

Hi Kate-

Yes, it is a larva of some sort...maybe a type of fly or midge, but there are so many, I have not identified this one.

Hey Judy-
Bet you were looking uphill in the garden, rather than down hill near the river! It was a great day for a walk! (but I'm not ready for barefeet yet!)

Pat K said...

Wonderful pictures. I do so love moving water.

Anonymous said...

I'd say the walk was well worth the dare, even worth the threat to your sneakers. Thanks for bringing me along.

pablo
www.roundrockjournal.com

Unknown said...

HI!! I think I'm all caught up now with you! Thanks for showing your walk...I really enjoy tagging along. Happy Spring! Celeste

Fiberjoy said...

Rock scrambling in tennis shoes, is it that far into the season already? :-) Some things just aren't meant to be put off until the proper time.

Thanks for the walk

barbara said...

Ok, I have to ask, did birds make those holes in the tree? You have a lovely place to walk, wish I could be there.

meresy_g said...

It really does put a spring in your step. Good thing too since it makes it easier to lift your feet that are quickly accumulating sticky mud. Like walking in very heavy boots. Great pictures.

cyndy said...

Pat K- yes, I love the moving water too! (esp. when it is moving the snow right outa here!)

Pablo- So glad you stopped by for a walk! Did your sneakers get wrecked too? And it was worth the dare- my feet felt free!!

Celeste- Glad you stopped by and got caught up...and glad that you are home!

Fiberjoy- as soon as those rocks are showing I will be sure to be scrambling..ps...the best driftwood is right after winter's high water....

Barbara- Why yes! Since you asked, those holes are made by woodpeckers. The Pilated Woodpecker makes a rectangular hole when he excavates...he is a beauty and larger than you might expect.

Meresy-heh heh...you are right, that mud cakes to the bottom of sneakers or boots...then I find the snow patches to walk though to clean 'um off...

Blog Widget by LinkWithin