Sunday, November 26, 2006

whitetail

She showed up early this morning. She was hanging around all day. Does she know that tomorrow is opening day of deer season?

I have mixed feelings about deer season. They are beautiful animals and I enjoy watching them year round. I get to recognize certain deer that live around me. They have distinct personalities, like most of us. They get to know me too. There are a few deer that watch me daily, from the woods, as I do my chores and feed my chickens and rabbits. They are my friends, and I like to talk to them. They keep their distance and watch.

I could not do it. I know that it is important to manage a herd. I know that venison is better to eat than beef from the grocery store. The deer have a wild a varied diet, without any antibiotics. Their meat is lower in fat and higher in iron content. I eat venison. If I had to shoot the deer to eat it, I would go hungry. There is just no way that I could pull a trigger while looking into these eyes.

....so I chase her away...I want her to be afraid of me, for her own good...but maybe she will stay close to the house tomorrow, and maybe my friend will stick around for another day....

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Guess I'd be gathering nuts and berries--You "shoot" beautiful pictures !!!!Beautiful portrait

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures!

Anonymous said...

What great shots you got of that gal, beautiful!

meresy_g said...

I'd go hungry as well. Even though they chew on my fruit trees, I could never shoot one.

Anonymous said...

We have deer too. Our whole neighborhood grieves a little when one disappears or is found along the road. Thanks for all your beautiful pictures. I'm a frequent lurker.

Anonymous said...

I'm just echoing everyone else 'cause they're right.... what wonderful pictures!

I don't think I could eat venison if I had to look in their eyes first either...

Cyndy, would you mind if I borrowed your ABC idea for blog posts?

Judy said...

Everyone else in my family hunts but I guess I watched Bambi too many times! It is the same with any other meat- I can eat it but not kill it. Kind of an oxymoron!

Dawn said...

I have the same problem ..... I love to eat vension, but could not do the deed in order to get the meat. Vension is such a superior meat when you compare it to feedlot beef. Thanks for sharing your lovely photos and thoughts.

judy said...

I'm with you on that, every word! Rifle season ended Saturday. There is one more week later, in Dec. I think for bow. I saw two herds in the fields Friday, celebrating?? Hope they made out well. I do love venison. Hunt, never. Was she that close or do you have a big telephoto lens?

Anonymous said...

These are beautiful images. We have several whitetails that hang around our house too, but they won't let me anywhere near them when I've got a camera in my hands. I guess they just don't want to be 'shot'!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin