Wednesday, February 15, 2006

mid feb

Image hosting by Photobucket
Not much snow from the big nor'easter, but that is fine with me.  Our water tables are where they should be, so, less melt to have to deal with. 
Image hosting by Photobucket
I have started weaving the 2/2 twill on the triloom with the Border Leicester yarn that I recently spun.  It goes pretty fast with the use of the shed stick to hold the warp open. I am starting to see the diagonal pattern of the twill appear.  It should become more defined after I full the finished shawl.  The sett is a good half inch across the top, so the take up should be noticeable.
Image hosting by Photobucket
Finished the hat and packed it up and sent it out! 
 
The early morning moments of daylight are starting to get  longer.  The chickens are at the gate at the gate by the time I get out there!  They are happy too,that we didn't get much in the way of snowfall.  They enjoy coming out to walk around, and tend to stay in the yard when the snow is deeper than 3 inches.  Take a look at this hen getting her new feathers...she looks like a porcupine!
Image hosting by Photobucket
She is a late molter, and I miss her eggs.  With the increased daylight, I should start seeing more in the way of production out of my hens...(it's about time).  The hens will not lay while they are moulting.  Their bodies get a chance to rest and put all the energy into making new feathers.  Feathers are mostly made of protein.  During the winter months, there are not very many bugs around to provide the protein.  I sometimes supplement with a treat for them of leftover stew meat which they attack like a swarm of piranhas.  I also offer cheese and  yogurt when I can.  Here is an interesting link that will take you to an article about sauerkraut, yogurt and bird flu.

4 comments:

Leslie Shelor said...

What kind of house is that with all the holes? Love the look of it. Fun to hear about the chickens; I miss them so! The last few I had went wild and when it snowed they wouldn't come out of their tree until it melted enough for them to fly to bare ground!

cyndy said...

Hi Spinner Gal-
I am hoping that pattern will pop after I full the finished piece! Thanks for the tip about the kitty chow...I will ask Buttercup if she will share her dinner with the chooks!

cyndy said...

Leslie,

The house with the holes in it was built for the Orchard Mason Bee. It is nonsocial...but a very good pollinator. We made a bunch of the houses years ago, and they always house some bees (as well as spiders, mud dabber wasps and once a praying mantis laid eggs in one!)
Here is a useful link if you want directions on how to make one.
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/ent/notes/Other/orn_t109/note109.html

Anonymous said...

We have a mason bee house too--I never find bees in it, though, mostly big spiders...I enjoy seeing & reading about your chickens--my brother is encouraging me to keep chickens (for eggs)--I find it very interesting about the light requirements--it is the same with the bees...

Blog Widget by LinkWithin