Friday, December 23, 2005

burning the candles at both ends

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
With the passing of the winter solstice, I can be joyful about the fact that we are past the shortest day of the year, and celebrate the few minutes of daylight we are gaining each day.  We have now entered winter officially..and around the rim, it has started off gently.  The grip of frigid weather has released it hold, temporarily...the 40 degree high feels downright balmy in comparison to the single digits of a few weeks ago. The gutters groan and clatter as the ice melts and slides off the eves of the house.
 
But the nights are still long for the most part, and I am literally burning the candle at both ends.  I find myself waking at odd hours of the night, unable to sleep, going over details and unfinished projects in my mind...trying to sort out the knots and snarls of the day.  I think this is due to the fact that I have not had much time for spinning lately...and I usually "defrag" during that pleasant task.
 
As I look out my window, I notice the beautiful clear sky full of stars.  The moon has been so bright on the icy snow, each shadow shows the detail of tree branches and evergreen needles.  "Go back to sleep", my conscious whispers, but my eyes are wide open and I feel quite awake.
The temptation to tip toe down the steps and spin is overwhelming.  There is something calming about spinning in the middle of the night when everyone else is sleeping, and the house is still...and the sky is clear and flooding the room with moonlight.
 
It is in these quite moments that I say my prayers, and think my good thoughts for those I love.  Problems are solved, plans are made, ideas are hatched, inspiration flows like the fiber through my fingers.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Morning comes all to quickly, and I regret the loss of sleep, like I knew I would.  There is just sooooo much to do these days.  I enjoyed my morning coffee, and saw these girls munching on acorns that they found in the road after the snowplow kicked them up.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
May the beauty of the season be yours to behold.

6 comments:

Liz said...

This was simply beautiful, Cyndy. Wishing you a wonderful holiday.

Anonymous said...

Dear Cyndy--I wish you a very happy holiday & look forward to 'seeing' you in the new year. It has been great getting to 'know' you through your writing & photos. Happy Holidays & Peace to all!

Claire said...

Cyndy, What a lovely scene those dear make. Best wishes to you and your family at Christmas. Claire

Dawn said...

Much can be accomplished in the quietness of the wee hours. :-)

Merry Christmas Cyndy! to you and yours!

Leslie Shelor said...

Busy hands make quiet minds. I don't get up much in the night to spin or work, since Dad's here, but I used to. It was calming when my mind raced around uselessly in the dark of early morning!

Anonymous said...

Cyndy, this is lovely - as always. I come here to take a little vacation from the hectic world. Thank you for putting me back in touch with what is beautiful and important.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin