Wednesday, January 26, 2005

it was a roof raker


Hosted by Photobucket.com

This last storm dumped enough snow on us to require a roof raking.  There is even a special shovel to use to rake the roof.  We figured that we must have gotten a little over a foot, and with the below zero temps we have been living with, it was the perfect conditions for the ice dams to form on the roof.  I never knew what an ice dam was until I moved to the North East.

Ice dams happen when there are large amounts of snow on the roof, freezing temps and sunny days.  The snow melts on the roof, hits the overhang and causes ice to form a dam that in turn causes the water to flow into your house like someone turned the garden hose on your ceiling.  It is not a pretty sight.  The first time I saw water flowing down the walls in my house, I thought we had burst a pipe somewhere.  I never want to see that again.  Now we rake the snow off the roof.  Some people get the heat cables, but I have heard of too many fires being started by them.

So, you wonder, do I have time for any fiber work with all this snowy weather?  Well...today I opened this bag of beautiful silk that I brought at the NY Sheep and Wool Festival this past October.  I have started to spin it with beads....I will post more on this next time.

Oh, about the new template...I think I broke my old blog....that is what I get for thinking I know html!  Don't know what I did, but I guess it was time for a change anyway.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin