Thursday, November 15, 2007

walk with me wednesday-returning

I should have been taking advantage of the warm sunny day, there are holiday lights that need to be strung, and other chores that are easier on the fingers when the weather is nice. But the ledges have been revealed, and I have not been walking there since last winter. I want to visit them, and so, I return.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

The ledges are nearby. I don't walk them for at least half of the year. They are off limits from early spring, (when the thunderstorms wake the snakes) until early fall (when the snow and frost chases them into the ground again). The ledges belong to the woodland creatures. There are dens in the ledges. These dens are homes to fox, bears, rattlesnakes and bobcats...and who knows who else? So, I am careful when I visit them.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

No matter how I photograph them, they don't look as big in the pictures as they do to me when I am climbing them. Nor do they look as dangerous. There are so many holes, and loose rocks, the moss and leaves are slippery, and there are steep "drop off's"...one must traverse with caution.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I return to visit an old friend.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

This area is not as I left it....it has been disturbed, the rocks are no longer stacked and tight, they have been pushed aside...perhaps by ice, or an animal. I look inside. There are no signs.

8 comments:

Cathy said...

The ledges are interesting - your reasons to not visit them half the year thrilling.

The question of the bottom photo... better left unasked.

Judy said...

We should walk to the cabin...taking the easy way now that I know it! Maybe Joyce would even go with us while she is up...what do ya think?

cyndy said...

Last time I "hiked" up to the cabin was at least 19 years ago...
I would love it! (long as we don't git shot fer tresspassin!)

Sharon said...

The ledges look beautiful. Snakes can make bushwalking such a risk, 'our' snakes are just starting to wake up....

Lisa at Greenbow said...

What an enchanting place.

Kath said...

Wow - that all looks fantastic! We've not much really to be wary of here except for adders so it all sounds exciting to me although I don't think I'd like to bump into any of the creatures close to! I love th fact that your blog is one that my little one can enjoy as well - she particularly liked your chickens!

Anonymous said...

I wish I had ledge like that in my woods!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad I can ramble without fear of poisonous snakes - they're rare on this side of the Cascades. When we lived in N. Arizona I was always careful with hiking and climbing the canyons. Once I came upon a cave near the rim of the canyon that had a relatively fresh sheep's jaw and other gnawed bones. From the prints it was some kind of wild cat. I didn't go back to that area.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin