Monday, July 11, 2016

Taking time to pause



There is a spot on my kitchen table, where the vase sits. I fill the vase each week, with flowers from my garden. For the past few weeks, the vase has been filled with roses. Yesterday, when I went out to cut flowers for the week, there were no more roses to fill the vase with. I was reminded of the quote about taking time to smell the roses, because however trite that quote may be, there is truth to it.

We are at that time. That time, that we should pause and notice the time. Hal Borland said it this way:

"We are at the time of the longest daylight, earliest sunrise and latest sunset, which will continue with only a few seconds of change for another week. Time, if we would only pause and let it flow over us, for a little while partakes of the deliberation that is the mark of summer in almost everything except human affairs."



"The berries ripen in their own time. The bees replenish the hive. Clover comes to sweet blossom, then to seed. Daisies whiten the roadsides."




"Fireflies sparkle in the evenings. Time flows like the brooks that must have leisured through Eden when summer blessed a young and innocent Earth."

And so I notice that the roses in my vase have been replaced with black-eyed susans, and hollyhocks, purple coneflowers, and monarda. Time flows on.

Some of my hours have been filled with making a couple of distaves for a friend.



I wove the bands for distaves on the double hole tapeloom.



I modified an old rigid heddle frame and it worked out well for those times that I don't wish to use a band lock. The pattern for the bands came from the book about Norwegian Band Weaving.


3 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

This time of year I so enjoy the haze of blue along the edges of the road. Love the woven tape. Amazing that one can do this.

Valerie said...

Lovely post....it's the time of year for slow, deep breaths. And also noticing that the bird's songs have changed.

Lovely tape weaving! Weaving!

Dawn said...

Time certainly has a way of moving on whether we're ready for it to do so or not. Later today (it's after midnight here so already Tuesday) I hope to spend some time on the deck with the dogs, enjoying my world. Lovely flowers and weaving!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin