Wednesday, April 06, 2016

technique



Another example of in-hand spindle spinning without having to use a half-hitch at the top of the spindle. This is how I've been spinning these days.
When spinning off the point, it isn't necessary to make a half-hitch at the beginning and end of each make.
I take joy in noticing the amount of fiber on the distaves. Oh those optimistic Romanians!

The video has another example of in-hand spinning, near the end. I've not attempted to try my hands at this method, something more to learn.

4 comments:

Janice in GA said...

Wow, she's fast with both kinds of spinning. I'm not sure I quite understand how the first bit is done that quickly without dropping the spindle.

I've seen videos of the second type too, and I'm also a bit flummoxed by it. So many fiber traditions...

Leslie Shelor said...

I've never seen anyone spin quite like this! Interesting!

Unknown said...

Cindy, I found you through a search on the wicking pots you use when spinning linen. You're video and a single etsy listing are the entire returns on trying to find out more about wikcing pots. How did you make or come to obtain your wikcing pot?

Thanks for your helpful blog and articles regarding bast fibers!

Tina J said...

Those distaves are so inviting! The spinner seems to be spinning a thicker yarn with that second technique, and I love the size of those spindles, I wonder how much yarn can be spun on one before it gets too heavy?

Blog Widget by LinkWithin