Monday, January 25, 2010

singularity

The January Thaw is right on schedule. It is a singularity.

Inside of a few days....we went from this:

Photobucket

to this:

Photobucket

A nice respite from the winter. There has been fog. And high muddy water on the river.

By Friday, ole man winter and freezing temperatures will return.

I won a small amount of $ with a lottery ticket that was given to me as a gift. I put it towards a support spindle that I have been wanting to try out. This spindle is handcrafted by Lisa Chan of gripping yarn.com

Photobucket

This beautiful spindle is made from Kingwood and weighs 1 ounce. Lisa tucked a small amount of fiber in the package (Thank you, Lisa!)...making it very easy to sit right down and try my hand at the new spindle. Oh my. Who cares if winter returns to the world outside my door...I'm going to be busy....there is much to learn!

9 comments:

Iris said...

Beautiful!

Sharon said...

wow,what an amazing change! that is something we just don't have here in australia, such a dramatic change in seasons. Our weather tends to be up and down, hot and cold etc, but never visually that different (the grass is green in winter and yellow in summer, but that is about the most dramatic!). Anyway, the spindle looks great!

DebbieB said...

I just love your pictures, Cyndy! Great spinning on the support spindle - I need to get my russian spindle out and practice a bit.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Isn't it wonderful to see the bit of green grass after the snow? It is almost like a new lease on life.

Your new spindle is gorgeous. You will never tire of looking at it as a work of art.

I kept the ornament you made out after christmas. It hangs on my bulletin board as a boost to my creative muse.

Valerie said...

Oooooh..I love support spindles!! That one is so lovely...my fingers tried to reach through the screen for a spin!!

I think you win the prize for "best use of lottery winnings"!!

That green fiber is lovely too. A little green for the time of thaw!!

Judy said...

I agree..Spring is several weeks away...go back to spindling.

Jody said...

Congradulations with your little windfall...that is a really beautiful looking spindle.
Lucky you...the snow is still with us and more to come:(

Leslie Shelor said...

January thaw happened here, too, but it hasn't lasted long. Back to cold temperatures, frozen bunny bottles and possible snow!

Unknown said...

I feel really humbled by all the wonderful compliments on the spindle. (Thanks Cyndy's Friends!) I spend several hours with each one and I learn something new from each turning.

In a way, I'm almost afraid to let them go... HAH! what if one goes unloved in a drawer?

Those thaw pictures are beautiful!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin