Wednesday, August 06, 2008

walk with me wednesday, ready or not

Sixty-four days ago, my corn looked like this....

Photobucket

Remember how I was telling you that I had to cover the seeds with clay pots so the chipmunks wouldn't eat the germinating kernels? Remember how I was wondering if it was worth it?
Today, it looks like this...

Photobucket

There are few things that I wait on the edge of my seat for...ripening corn is one of those things. For the first month, I wait and watch, as the leaves get bigger...

Photobucket

and then the second month...I wait and watch as the tassels (the male flowers) grow, and the pollen hangs...

Photobucket

...and I wait for the wind to carry it...amazed at how each strand of silk (the female flowers) represents a kernel of corn. Sometimes, we walk throught the corn and shake the stalk...just in case the wind forgets..And it is good to plant the corn in blocks. Corn pollen is heavy...sometimes it doesn't go very far.

I wait and wait..for the kernels to be ready. I've grown corn many years, the waiting can drive you crazy. You can tell it is getting ready because the silk at the top starts to look dark and dry. When I cannot wait any more, I pull down a husk and peak at it. What do you think? Ready?....or not....

Photobucket

14 comments:

Judy said...

Yes it looks ready. My mother would have ripped that ear off and ate it there! Enjoy the fruits of your labors.

Anonymous said...

Yum! We're having corn with dinner tonight!

Sue said...

Oh yum.

Gingerbreadshouse7 said...

Absolutely beautiful and ready, what time do I come for the Tasting party? :o)...Ginny B.

cindy said...

Your pics are just soooooo lovely to behold!!! I really look forward to seeing what you have captured with your lens.

I want some of that corn,Cyndy!

Dawn said...

Lovely walk! Your corn looks Yummy! Enjoy!

KnitChick said...

Beautiful!!! I remember doing all the same growing up. Somehow I just don't think corn grows much in FL... When I was in college in IA, they used to employ the college kids to go out and pollinate the fields. If I recall, a lot of that had to do with hybridization that they were trying to accomplish.

Anonymous said...

Oh, that's ready all right... ready to be boiled (or steamed) and slathered in butter and salt. ;-)

Kathleen said...

What a great post! Enjoy every sweet, tasty kernel!

Anonymous said...

It looks ripe to me! I've nominated you for an Arte y pico award but I see you've already got one. Do you think there's room in the house for the second one? :-)

Anonymous said...

Mmm, I can feel the kernels popping their juicy sweetness.

annmarie said...

oh, my...that ear of corn makes me want to jump into the picture!

vanessa said...

you're making my mouth water!

Lisa at Greenbow said...

The way my mouth is watering it must be ready. I loved seeing the evolution of your corn crop. I am amazed that the racoons haven't found it.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin