Saturday, February 24, 2007

staying on track

I was up and out early today, before the deer got up. I often see them sleeping up there. In the evening, you can shine a flashlight up there, and see their glowing eyes looking back. Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting I had a chance to look around to see if I could find a better photograph of the tracks. I even took the tape measure, to try and get an idea of what might have been walking around after dark. I was not very successful at finding a clear track. Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting The snow has melted, and tracks have been made on top of more tracks. It is interesting to me to see how many animals share the paths. Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting I think these tracks were made by a raccoon, or maybe opossum...they were near the chickens too! Not having much luck with the tracks, I made a small movie of the whitetail

9 comments:

Pat K said...

How lovely to see deer so close and so frequently! Having so much nature right outside your door can be very special; still, I hope the critters don't cause you too many problems!

vanessa said...

that is too cool!
how close do they let you get?

Marcy said...

Great video. I love that they were so calm with you being so close. Thanks!

Judy said...

MaryAnn and I decided they are opossum tracks...http://www.bear-tracker.com/opossum.html. Tonights fresh snow might let you get a better view of your visitors. Are you ready?

Ernest said...

Possum tracks, I agree. You can see the "thumb" in the photo.

Ain't it wonderful what you can see?

Unknown said...

Hi! We have a hill behind the house where the deer sleep too. It's fun to find their beds and think of them snoozing away up there. ;0)

meresy_g said...

I love your deer movie. Especially the fuzzy younger deer. Very cute. Until they are nibbling your flowers in the spring. And I agree with the possum assessment. Were you missing any eggs? You would think you would see a tail mark as well, but maybe the snow was too crusty.

Leslie said...

Well I was all set to vote for raccoon and congratulate myself on my cleverness but it now looks as though I have a possum leaving tracks near my chicken house, and not the raccoon I thought I had. My tracks look just like yours. Dangit.

cyndy said...

Well, we all seem to agree that the tracks were from (a) oppossum!

I don't mind the oppossum, sure he eats the occasional egg or two (or three)...but that is better than the raccoon, who eats the entire flock of chickens if he gets the chance.

Once I reached into the nest box to check for eggs, and put my hand right on the oppossum! He didn't even wake up! (sure made me glad I had my gloves on...)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin