Thursday, February 15, 2007

digging out

"hey dude, where's my car?" Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting the snowfall totals were all different, ranging from a foot to 16 inches. it was a brutal storm....dumping snow, sleet and then snow again. Yesterday when we started to dig out, it was easier to shovel. It was heavy, and seemed as if you were shoveling sand. Trying to walk around in it was like walking on the sandy beach! Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Today it was much more difficult to shovel. It turned into a snow sandwich, and the easiest way to deal with it was to slice it up like a big piece of sheet cake, and then serve up the individual pieces. The Mr. made a new wall next to the driveway. My body hurts all over from moving this snow. Otherwise, I would have been tempted to build an igloo. Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Down at the confluence, the ice is starting to jam up. The river is still open and flowing behind our cabin, but the farther down river you travel, the more packed with ice it becomes. The eagles look for open water. Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting The air is cold and windy, bitter- icy air. Does the cold bother this bird? Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting He sat pretty still for me, so I think he just didn't want to expend any energy to fly away. Oh how I wish I could look through those eyes and see how the world looks from where he sits....

10 comments:

judy said...

You are my hero! Amazing pictures of the eagle. I can feel those eyes and the feathers in the wind. Oh yes, and otter scat... it is green, of a bit smaller than coon but shaped the same. There was urine next to it, but I think that was the coyote marking. It was on his trail. Lots of fox markings around the pond.

Unknown said...

Hi! Awesome eagle pic! What lens did you use? What kind of camera so you have? I was wondering so I can know what next lens to buy. Celeste

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you survived the storm relativly unscathed. Go easy on the shoveling, dont hurt yourself.

Great pic of the eagle! What amazing looking birds they are.

elizabeth said...

Gorgeous! Just look at those talons! My DH and I happened upon a golden eagle at the end of a partiularly difficult backpacking trip. It made everything we'd gone through worth while, and then some!

meresy_g said...

Awesome eagle pictures. I should have thought of the block thing. Might have made it possible to clear the driveway. Although the thought of making a wall in 40 mph winds doesn't sound very fun.

Judy said...

Awesome picture of the eagle! Now that you finished your snow removal...do you want to come do mine? I kept mom's walkways cleared and even got someone to plow her driveway but was too tired to do my own! Did I say I wanted snow? Smack me next time!

Fiberjoy said...

The eagle looks ruffled - insulation from the cold. What breathtaking pictures.

Love the igloo idea, it'd probably last for weeks.

cyndy said...

Hi Everyone-
Thanks for the kind comments about the eagle picture.
I have a Kodak Easy Share camera, that has a built in zoom lens...so objects may appear closer than they actually are...I can use this feature for still settings, but when I shoot a video, the zoom must be set before I start.
It has a few different modes for taking pictures, so you can override the auto settings and switch to manual if you desire...but mostly I use the icons and click away....

Anonymous said...

I am attempting to come out of blogging hibernation, however, all this ice and cold and bitter wind makes me want to retreat! Love your You Tube movie and I am blown away by the magnificent eagle photos! So beautiful. Miss you!

vanessa said...

cyndy, this is the best post ever!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin