Monday, September 26, 2011

measured amounts

Photobucket

Checking the chart for measured amounts of precipitation for the month of September, I notice that on average, my geographical location should receive about 4 inches. To date, the measured amount for the month of September, so far, is over 9 inches. I've come to the conclusion that so many rainy days in one month can lead to melancholy and mold.

The sun fights to break though and burn off the fog on those days that the rain isn't falling. When it shines, it brings color to my world! This past Friday, at the Hatton farm, I dyed a small amount of wool from Grace with onion skins that Greta shared with the group. The subtle orange and red flashed tones look so pretty with the sun shining on them. So pretty, I reached for the Ledbetter spindle...sample, sample, sample.

Photobucket

My Shetland Hurricane Mittens took the blue ribbon at the PA Endless Mountains Fiber Festival! The pattern is Ceangaltas Mittens by Robin Melanson.

Photobucket

Speaking with one of the judges, I was told that the decision to award the mittens with the blue ribbon was unanimous. The fact that they were handspun, woolen and fulled, coupled with the design and execution of the pattern, was what scored the most points. I must admit, that there were not many entries due to the weather and poor attendance this year, but I was happy to receive the ribbon anyway!

7 comments:

Jody said...

Congrats Cyndy. They are beautiful mittens and totally deserved that Blue Ribbon!

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I love the color of the wool. Soon we will be wanting some wools to comfort us. I just knew those mittens would do well.It wouldn't have mattered how many entrants there were. Congrats.

annmarie said...

congratulations! I have that book, but the problem with having so many knitting books is that treasures like these mittens are forgotten. thank you for the beautiful reminder.

Judy said...

Congrats on the mittens. And the only plus side to the rain is that it is not snow!

Valerie said...

Congratulations! You deserve that ribbon no matter how many entries there were!!

I've never seen oranges and reds w/ onion skins....mostly golds. Were special onions used?

We to have had record rain in Sept., making for a very soggy fall. But the compost heap seems to like it. It will be very heavy to turn when I get out there in a week or two.

cyndy said...

Valerie,

The onion skins were collected from the bottom of the bin in the grocery store..so could be a mixture.

The only mordant that I used was vinegar. The red or orange flashes came from the area that was touching the onion skins in the pot. I packed the wool into panty hose and occasionally I would stuff a handful of skins sandwiched between the wool.

PS...It is raining again..today.

elizabeth said...

And you deserve it! Congratulations!!! I'm thinking of entering my handspun Staghorn at SAFF. Based on the entries/ribbons last year, they like classic projects. But I've never entered anything, so maybe not!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin