Tuesday, May 11, 2010

fusul

There are so many things we can learn just from looking at pictures. Visual Language. Pictures can speak to us. ...you know....that expression about them being worth a thousand words.....

A minute into this video, note the dual purpose of the spinning wheel. It appears that the spinner is winding off the cop onto a winder that has been mounted on top of the wheel. She is turning the crank on the wheel to turn the winder. At closer examination of the winder -- it looks to me as if inverted hand spindles have been inserted into the holes of the arms on the winder...again, another dual purpose.

I find myself watching, looking, learning.

4 comments:

Judy said...

Very ingenious! I am amazed that with all their other work they found time to spin whereas with all our advances mine gets pushed to the back when there are not enough hours in the day.

Manise said...

Fascinating video on spinning in Romania!

dteaj said...

It looks to me like a bobbin winder, rather than a spinning wheel - no flier and no spindle. It is possible that the spindle has been replaced temporarily for bobbin winding and is dual use...

Very cool use of hand spindles on the winder.

I use my great wheel as a bobbin and spool winder, ever I saw someone use a rubber band for a shim on the spindle.

Thanks so much for your great blog.

Marcy said...

Fabulous images, Cyndy! Thanks.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin