Monday, May 12, 2008

using the last of the Shetland Fleece

A few weeks ago, I was working on a project for a Cathy. She has been very generous in sharing her Shetland Fleece samples, and I wanted to make something for her to show my appreciation. I decided to use up the rest of the Shetland fleece...the bits that were cast off, not suitable for spinning. I decided to make some felt with them.

Photobucket

Cathy likes petroglyphs and pictographs. So do I. So I made a piece of felt with some petroglyphic designs that I had seen while reading about them. The pictographs are usually painted on rocks, and the petroglyphs are carved into the rocks. The symbols are found world wide. It is interesting to compare some of the symbols and shapes that are found in rock art from different places. I become amazed at how some symbols repeat themselves. I wonder about their meaning. I wonder about the person who made them, and why. I marvel at how old some of them are, and how they have survived all this time. I've never seen any in real life, but I have looked at some wonderful images online.

Photobucket

The project I made consisted of making a notebook to cover with the felt. There is a lot to learn about bookmaking..and there are lovely knots and different techniques to master. My first efforts, amateur at best, left me wanting to learn more. I did find some interesting videos on Youtube that were helpful.

Photobucket

I made several different buttons that I could choose from to work with a lashing to close the notebook, but I forgot to make a note of which one I finally selected.

9 comments:

Leslie said...

Good to see you blogging again. I, too, took a hiatus recently. Our blogs are a reflection of our real lives; our real lives deserve all the attention they require, and the blogs should only ever get the left overs.

Your eye for color and design is wonderful.

Cathy said...

You should laugh at me - I didn't see the sheep's head below the button til I read this post. Now it just pops out and I have to giggle. The brooch!! That is really cool!! Now I have to go over to the Shetland Museum to check it out.

This is so meaningful on so many levels.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Just beautiful Cyndy. You are such a talented lady.

judy said...

What a wonderful project. It is very interesting how the same shapes and symbols appear world over. collective consciousness..? You have such a talent for getting to the essence. Primitive and modern.

Dawn said...

What an interesting project. I hadn't noticed the sheep's head either. At first I wondered why you had put a G on the cover when it was to be for a C. Another of my senior moments .... You did a lovely job, Cyndy!

Kristi aka Fiber Fool said...

Looks great! I've been wanting to explore using felt for book covers but haven't had the time. Now I'm a bit more motivated to find the time :-)

cindy said...

I can't wait to see the finished book. What a special use for the Shetland fleece!

Manise said...

What a lovely gift! Hoping you'll post more pics of it.

Leigh said...

WOW! I am soooo impressed! What a wonderful project! I think I'll add bookmaking to my list of things to learn (number 567, I believe.)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin