Monday, March 21, 2005

spring grass

Image hosted by
The snow is starting to melt around the riverrim, and the color of the grass underneath is quite close to the color of the yarn that I just made from the Wensleydale and Silk.  The Wensleydale roving was called "Juniper".  I spun a fine single, and then I used a Navajo ply method to produce a three-ply yarn.  I then took the Silk, and core spun it over silk thread, and incorporated the seed beads at random.  Then, I plyed the silk beaded yarn loosely around the Wensleydale.  The finished product was approx. 12wraps per inch.

Image hosted by
I was anxious to see how this would weave up, so I made a neck/scarf on the 3 foot triangle loom.  I wanted to fringe the edges, but did not want to knot every tail of the I used a looping technique to construct the fringe.  I did not measure exactly for each loop, so the finished edge is a little bit uneven.  Next time, instead of just estimating, I should make sure each fringe is the same size. I was pretty happy with the way the seed beads worked into the piece.  They are speckled throughout the shawl, and look like little sparkles of dew on the grass.  I also finished the "cut length" shawl edge with beads.
These were a little bit bigger than the seed beads, so I used them with the fringe.  They help to give the shawl some sparkle to play off the fireflash.
Image hosted by

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin