Friday, June 21, 2024

Pick up Motifs

 












I picked up some motif charts from the "Lithuanian Sashes Book" that Grace had gifted to me.

At first I was a bit perplexed at how to go about weaving them on the 4 Shaft Dorothy LeClerc loom.

There was not instruction in the book, but there was a lot of interesting history and charts.












I wove a strip of motifs as practice or samples of how the designs would translate.  I think some of

the charts were from Kati Meek's book on "Reflections From a Flaxen Past".  Weaving was slow

going at first, and after a time, it moved along faster.













Once I understood what to do, I could simply browse the internet for charts of different motifs, and adapt them to the size that I wanted.  A pencil and some graph paper and a little math and I was having a good time.  There are many possibilities for this type of weaving.  Traditionally, the designs were woven for linens or incorporated into clothing.












When I cut it from the loom, I had a long strip that I'm not sure what to do with, so for the meantime, it is hanging in the doorway off the kitchen.  

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin