Wednesday, October 21, 2009

walk with me Wed on a Sat afternoon

Photobucket

As it turned out, a last minute decision found me walking around Rhinebeck, NY Sheep and Wool Festival. And what a very good place to walk.

Photobucket

Vessels seemed to stand out and shout my name this year. I admired these vessels by Artist Heather Kerner, who graciously allowed me to photograph her work.

Walking through the barns of Rhinebeck takes time...there are colors and textures - and so much product to see, it becomes difficult to navigate if crowded....certain barns require a second walk through. Chance meetings occur, conversations are brief, but oh so enjoyable. And I am granted the favor of another photograph. This Swirl Shawl, knit by Judy's sister Linda. So elegant, so stunning, this digital camera cannot capture all the color and beauty of it.

Photobucket

High overhead, sits a purchase I long to make. It was at the Carolina Homespun booth. I lost the name (I had scribbled down) of the maker of this standing distaff. It comes complete with a built in ceramic dipping bowl. There were two styles, one of them had a lazy-kate at the base. Sigh. Then again, there is always next year.

Photobucket

9 comments:

Manise said...

I am so bummed that I missed you! I fell in love with Linda's Swirl Shawl too.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

What a fun inspirational time you had. That shawl looks so delicate like fuzzy lace. Those bowls are unique. I have never seen such a thing.

vanessa said...

you're not going to believe this, but i am the one in the first photo, just to the left of the tent in the brown leather jacket carrying the large green tote bag!

aarrgghhh! to be so close!

i loved that distaff, did you see the one with the darker blue bowl?

Judy said...

We saw lots of swirl designs and loved them...sometime in the future I might have to explore them a little more.

Jody said...

I saw that shawl on someone else's blog pics too and it looks stunning. Someday I hope to make it to Rhinebeck ...sigh.

Kristi aka Fiber Fool said...

Reading blogs this week has me convinced that I simply *must* make it to one of the larger wool festivals one of these years... I don't blame you for lusting after that distaff, it is beautiful!

elizabeth said...

You NEED that distaff! It has your name on it!

annmarie said...

I'm so sorry that I didn't meet up with you at Rhinebeck! Were you there both days?

~ Phyllis ~ said...

Wow! Rhinebeck must have been wonderful. Would love to go there if I could handle the crowds.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin