Sunday, March 05, 2006

making comparisons

Well, its the time of year again, where they flock together to strut their stuff, showing off their colors and trying to impress members of the opposite sex with their swagger and extravagance.  Their posture and pose is an elaborate dance that they love to perform.  They show themselves off, begging for attention from their onlookers.
 
No, I am not referring to the parade of stars on the red carpet for the Academy Awards ceremony from Hollywood...I am talking about the parade of turkeys in my backyard.  The spring gobblers are strutting their stuff, and it is much harder to photograph them- than celebrities that strike a pose! 
Image hosting by Photobucket
I had to sneak up on these tom's late yesterday afternoon.  Turkey's have fantastic eyesight, so you really have to try to hide and remain motionless if they see you.  The turkeys were gobbling and displaying and going through the rituals of breeding.
Image hosting by Photobucket
I did not want to get too close...I felt as if I were an intruder and did not want to disrupt them in any way.   I counted 26 turkeys all together, but noticed only 2 toms that were fanning.
Image hosting by Photobucket
When people hunt during spring gobbler season, they can use a turkey call like the one pictured below called the "Sweet Talker".  The hunter tries to imitate the sound of hen yelp ...and attract a gobbler who is looking for romance.  Next time I go out to watch the turkeys, I will take the turkey call, and see if I can get one to come closer.
Image hosting by Photobucket
Before I went in, I noticed the moon..
Image hosting by Photobucket
It is because of the moon that I have postponed planting the broccoli.  A glance at the chart tells me that the moon will be favorable for planting broccoli between the 7 and 14 of March...and then again from the 29 to the 31st.  I can wait a few more days.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never knew turkeys climbed trees! Of course we only have domesticated ones here in the UK. It's great to feel the season changing, isn't it? I'm very behind with seed sewing but we have quite a long season here and things usually catch up.

Anonymous said...

seed sowing, I mean!

cyndy said...

Hi Brigid-

I've seen the turkeys climb the trees at the top of the mountain ridge, and then glide downwards flying over the river to the other side. They are a big bird in flight!.....btw..you might be on to something new with "seed sewing"!

Dawn said...

Nice seeing those turkeys of yours Cyndy . . . Thanks! We had one almost fly into our windshield in upper New York state a couple years ago. Just missed us by inches.

cyndy said...

Hi Dawn-

Glad you liked seeing the turkey pictures...I've had a close call with them and the car too...once I threw on the breaks to avoid a hen and 12 pullets- and caused all the groceries from the back seat to land next to me in the front!

cyndy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Blog Widget by LinkWithin