Friday, December 30, 2005

time

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

As the 2005 year draws to a close, I find myself thinking quite a bit about time.  Mostly because I have so very little of it to spend on fibery pursuits these days.  Abraham Lincoln once said that, "Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend".  Ah yes, and one should do so wisely.

One of the most interesting articles that I have read lately, was about the Leap Second that will be added to the world's clocks at midnight on the 31st of December 2005.  The original article that I read, mentioned the Tusnami of 2004, and how it had altered the rotation rate of the Earth, enough to cause an adjustment in the way the International Earth Rotation Service (IERS) determines it is required to keep Coordinated Universal Time (UTC).  Futher reading into this subject provided for a few interesting hours of research and mind boggling thoughts.  I found a bulletin that was addressed: "To authorities responsible for the measurement and distribution of time"....and thought, wow, this is serious stuff.  I was happy to have it come to my attention that I would be getting another second to spend, and pondered ways to best use it...but then realized how many minutes I had spent thinking of ways to spend my second wisely.  I came to a conclusion that underscored what a good friend of mine once observed about me in the seventh grade...and that is, that I could never determine the shortest distance between two points.  Hummm....

So, anyway, I will be sure to adjust my timepieces properly, and advise you to do the same.  Since I do not own and GPS parafanlia, and most of my clocks are wound, this should not take to much time. (heh heh).

I have been working on making these felted footies for several members of the family.  They are cozy wool slippers, knit up and then felted in the washing machine.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The pattern works up very quickly, and you can carry several strands of yarn, on some large needles.  I brought the pattern at Countrywool.  I can make one of these footies in about 2 and 1/2 hours or by my time calulations 9,000 seconds.

In closing for the year, and in all seriousness....don't forget to go outside at midnight and look for Sirius.  It will be directly overhead, wishing you a Happy New Year.

6 comments:

Leslie Shelor said...

Time seems to me to be passing SO fast, so even the Leap Second doesn't seem like enough. Awesome (in the original sense of the word) to think that the tsunami could change the rotation of the earth. I'd like to talk to those Time Authorities and see if they could slow my share down a trifle!

cyndy said...

Hi Leslie-
I know what you mean, I have a hard time each spring when we "lose" an hour!
Happy New Year!

Dawn said...

Interesting stuff Cyndy, but I don't think I'm going to lose any sleep over it. {g} Love your felted slippers! Brings back memories of an elderly gentleman that was a dear friend to my DH and I. For slippers he wore the felt liners from his winter boots. How's that for originality?! {g}

Claire said...

Hi Cyndy, Happy new year! I say, use that second to be content and happy :-) I'm a sop LOL

Cheers
Claire

cyndy said...

Hi Dawn! Hi Claire!
Best of '06 to you!
Make every second count!

Anonymous said...

buy valium india can you buy valium online uk - valium effects pupils

Blog Widget by LinkWithin