Friday, September 10, 2004

jacks first



I have been playing around with some of the first clippings that I got from my new Angora "Jack" son of Countrywool Liebchen. I blended it with some unknown breed of sheeps wool that was given to me by a friend from my spinning group. First I blended it on the drum carder, and then split it and passed it through a second time. Then, I spun it thick and thin and slubby. It is very soft and cushey! I'm thinking it will make a nice hat.

Last week, Jack became a daddy. The doe kindled early in the morning on Tuesday. She had 5 kits when I checked on her. They were all licked very clean, and there was no afterbirth, so she knew what she was doing. However, only one kit was alive. I distracted the doe with some fresh broccoli clippings, and then removed the poor little kits that did not make it. When I came back to check on things a little later, I found she had delivered another kit, and was just finishing cleaning it off. It was not alive. So, we only have one little one. I guess the still born kits could be due to the fact that my doe is almost 5 years old already. But she is being a very good mama. The kit is growing fast, and fat! I will have some pictures soon.

This weekend I will be going to the 1st Annual Pennsylvania Endless Mountains Fiber Festival. I am looking forward to it and hope that they get a good turn out. I know they were trying for this last year, but it never got off the ground, and so I wish them luck.

1 comment:

claudia at countrywool said...

Cyndy

Great news about Jack! So sorry to hear about the small live litter, though. Yes, these things do happen with older does.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin